Back to Top
Pokhran Test Heroes- Image Sources: Business Upturn
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam also known as Missile Man of India, conducted at the Pokhran test range on May 11, 1998 and was the brain behind the many nuclear experiments.
- Kalam oversaw as the DRDO’s chief while camping in the Thar desert for almost a fortnight, were a “defining milestone” in the country’s history.
- To dodge US spy satellites, the team worked at night and only bore a tunnel when the satellites turned the other way.
- They disguised themselves by wearing army clothes and digging bomb tunnels in the ground.
- To minimise suspicion, they flew in the nuclear devices from different sections of the country.
- The Pokhran-II test explosions were a series of five nuclear bomb tests.
- The first of which was a fusion bomb, and the other four of which were fission bombs.
- Although the tests established India as a nuclear power, they became a cornerstone of Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s rule.
Tap to Know More