“Big data is high-volume, velocity, and variety information assets that demand cost-effective, innovative forms of information processing for enhanced insight and decision making.”
Big Data refers to complex and large data sets that have to be processed and analyzed to uncover valuable information that can benefit businesses and organizations.
- There are certain basic tenets of Big Data that will make it even simpler to answer what is Big Data:
- It refers to a massive amount of data that keeps on growing exponentially with time.
- It is so voluminous that it cannot be processed or analyzed using conventional data processing techniques.
- It includes data mining, data storage, data analysis, data sharing, and data visualization.
- The term is an all-comprehensive one including data, data frameworks, along the tools and techniques used to process and analyze the data.
Types of Big Data
Characteristics of Big Data
Variety of Big Data refers to structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data that is gathered from multiple sources.
Velocity essentially refers to the speed at which data is being created in real-time
We already know that Big Data indicates huge ‘volumes’ of data that are being generated on a daily basis from various sources like social media platforms, business processes, machines, networks, human interactions, etc.