In today’s world no one can practically live without their phone. We owe this dependency on phones due the fact that they have simply made our life easier. However, cellphone usage also comes with a lot of side effects. And it is because of these side-effects that we must keep our phone usage under check.
In the medical world, there is some dispute about whether excessive phone usage is an addiction or an issue with impulse control. However, there are many parallels between phone addiction and other behavioural addictions, such as compulsive gambling. Another parallel between behavioural addiction and cell phone addiction is the activation of a chemical in the brain that promotes the obsessive behaviour called as dopamine.
Some of the signs to look for while identifying phone addiction are:
- You reach for your phone the moment you’re alone or bored.
- You wake up multiple times at night to check your phone.
- You feel anxious, upset, or short-tempered when you can’t get to your phone.
- Your phone use has caused you to have an accident or injury.
- You’re spending more and more time using your phone.
- Phone use interferes with your job performance, schoolwork, or relationships.
- People in your life are concerned about your phone use patterns.
- When you try to limit your use, you relapse quickly.