The medical opinion on this is divided and there is no single clear answer.
- Some research found that butter consumption led to increase in the blood LDL cholesterol levels and abdominal obesity.
- But at the same time it did not lead to any significant increase in risk indicators for cardiovascular problems.
- Margarine being a plant oil based products contains less calories than butter and more water, so useful for calorie conscious folks.
- Phytosterol based margarine on the other hand was found to reduce LDL cholesterol levels but a research indicated it may be harmful to blood vessel walls.
- Each person’s body may respond differently to dietary fats based on genetic tendencies, their current health status, sex, and their overall nutritional pattern.
- Medical conditions like lactose intolerance naturally restrict butter consumption and so in such cases margarine will prove to be a good option.
- Thus both butter and margarine are equally healthy or unhealthy depending on you lifestyle and consumption choices.